In December 2014, 81 spectators and players suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning after attending a minor league hockey game between the Dells Ducks and the Ice Hawks. They were hospitalized and treated for a range of symptoms including dizziness, nausea, headaches, vomiting and fainting. The cause? Local fire department officials linked the leak to the rink’s ice resurfacing machine.
The importance of proper ventilation
The situation in Wisconsin is not the first time that ice resurfacing vehicles were to blame for illnesses. In 2011, a number of New Hampshire hockey players at an indoor hockey rink were showing signs of acute respiratory symptoms. These included cough, shortness of breath, and chest pain and tightness – all symptoms that are consistent with exposure to nitrogen dioxide gas (NO2). Of the 43 people exposed, 31 had symptoms consistent with NO2 exposure.